Pages

Wednesday 28 January 2009

The enthusiasm for learning new things

I have just had two days of intensive workshops about different, some obscure, types of research methodologies. I find this so inspiring, that i am dying to use some of them in my research, Which of course means that I may get enthusiastic about something that is quite inappropriate. I love the visual image that is produced by Social Network Analysis, and could just stick it in the thesis to show the links between different authority vehicles, or the links children have significant reading experiences, or the number of books they read, or the number of libraries they visit, but will that show their literacy? similarly, the repertory Grid method is a lovely one to do, so simple and so objective, but will it give me the answer to my research Question? Can it prove literacy? Grounded theory seems to be much more appropriate, ethnographic methods can be applied, observing what happens on Children's mobile libraries, or I should say observing the intereaction of the actors in the situation of a Children's mobile library. Qualitiative research is definately the style needed to explain what goes on and how to answer the question. On the other hand, discourse analysis is just "Reading between the lines" and is just too hippy for even me. That is not to say that I will not take any notice of what children say when I talk to them. Well, it's linchtime now, and I will inwardly digest the ideas while masticating my food.

No comments: